If you dream of adding a wood floor, you often come across many misconceptions during the decision making process. Here is our attempt to give you the facts so you can make an educated decision.
- Wood floors scratch easily. Reality: the wood itself is actually quite durable, which comes in a variety of hardnesses, depending on where it is harvested from. When a floor appears scratched it’s usually only the upper layer of finish that is damaged. This can be quickly and easily fixed with a light sanding and refinish.
- Wood floors make a room cold and look dusty. Reality: wood is actually an excellent retainer of heat and can help warm the room both physically and aesthetically. While dirt and dust may appear more visible on your wood floors, that’s because they aren’t absorbed into the floor, making it easier to spot and keep clean.
- Installing wood flooring depletes forests. Reality: trees are a renewable resource and hardwood forests have actually increased. According to the US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, for every cubic foot of hardwood harvested in the US, 1.66 cubic feet is planted in its place, resulting in 90% more than in the 1950s.
- Wood flooring is harmful to the environment. Reality: because it absorbs carbon dioxide, wood is considered a carbon neutral material. A study by University of Wisconsin-Madison showed harvesting wood releases none of the gases connected to climate change.
- Wood flooring is too expensive. Reality: depending on the type of wood, the price of installing a floor can vary greatly and fit nearly every budget. In addition, a low-cost engineered wood floor is still made from wood and looks exactly the same as hardwood once installed.
A properly installed and maintained wood floor can last over a hundred years! Have we inspired you to consider a wood floor for your Orlando home or business? Contact AB Flooring & Restoration for a free consultation today.